Thursday, July 10, 2014

Icon Analysis




When I think of a pop culture icon, I think of something that the majority of a group of people can recognize. It is something that surpasses all other competitors in its category, whether it be some type of fashion, music, or movies.

The first thing that popped into my mind when thinking of an icon was Clark Kent, otherwise known as Superman. Superman was a fictional comic book character who is widely identified by his costume, which consisted of a blue suit, red cape, and red and yellow "S" emblem across the chest. Superman is known not only as a comic book character, but has been featured in movies, video games, cartoons, and blockbuster movies. He was my first choice for those exact reasons, he was not just featured in one category of pop culture, but in a wide variety.

Kurt Cobain, my second choice for a pop culture icon, was a musician and lead singer for the rock band Nirvana. The band was most widely known for their chart topping single, "Smells like teen spirit". This song was popular in its time, and still continues to have a cult following. Kurt was married to fellow rock star Courtney Love, and sadly suffered from a heroin addiction. Ultimately, Kurt's life was cut short at the young age of 27 due to suicide. I chose Kurt Cobain, because not only was he viewed as an artist ahead of his time in the 1980's and 90's, but that legacy has continued all the way through the new millennium.

My third and final icon, that I believe is probably more widely known by our society that political issues, it "E.T. The Extraterrestrial". ET is a film directed by Steven Spielberg that premiered in 1982. This film held the title of highest grossing film of all time for more than 10 years. It was also the breakout role of actress Drew Barrymore. This was an easy choice for me, because even though this film came out 8 years before I was even born (yes I am showing my young age a little here) I still think of it as one of the most well known movies of my time. Even 20 years after, the movie was still so popular that it was re-released!!

To me, an icon is something, which can be a someone, a thing, or even an idea, that has retained continuous popularity through changing times. All three icons have been through many decades since their beginning, and have still kept their following!


Retrieved on July 10, 2014 from http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/superman-vs-guardians-of-the-universe-1532563/



Retrieved on July 10, 2014 from http://www.mtv.com/artists/kurt-cobain/



Retrieved on July 10, 2014 from http://tjhouston.com/category/et/
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ashlee

    I enjoyed reading your post for your pop culture icons. I believe all three of them are great choices. However, I really think Superman is one of the most iconic figures of all time.

    Superman is much more than just a fictional comic book character, but a cultural icon that’s become ingrained into the public’s awareness. To me, he is the most beloved comic book character and a influential figure that’s helped form a good amount of modern media and cultural traditions across the world. Superman not only helped shape the superhero as a force in popular culture but also became a symbol of the American Dream. If you love him or hate him the Man of Steel lasting presence in the media will continue to have a big influence on popular culture for probably many decades to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of ET as a pop culture icon but I agree with other two and great analysis on your icons, I guess pop culture icon is anything that has longevity.

    ReplyDelete