Written Analysis #5
Ashlee Motoer
Popular Culture
Professor Whitney Iles
August 8, 2014
Written Analysis #5
Through all of my research and
analysis throughout the duration of this class, I have confirmed some
suspicions and learned new things regarding the growing popularity of the LGBT
community in television today. Just like in other aspects of our society, the
acceptance of the LGBT community is growing. This is not to say that there are
still people opposed, and it is likely that it will stay that way, but strides
are being made in the direction of acceptance.
It was amazing to me how, with each
passing week, I could make correlations between all of the theories studied and
my pop culture topic. One that was confirmed for me was the presence of
stereotypes. People within the LGBT community are judged based on things like
their sexual orientation, the way the talk, and the way they dress. It was
great to see though, that the media chose characters in shows with all
different types of personalities and mannerisms to show that not all people in
the LGBT community are defined by these stereotypes.
I was impressed on how I was able to
make an association between the new found acceptances of the LGBT community and
how some people see heroism in these members of the community. Through much
research it was found that these actors and musicians in the media today are
role models for our society young and old. These celebrities are pioneering the
way for others to come, and people in society see this as bravery. It is
hopefully just the start of seeing more and more diversity in the media today.
It is because of my research and
analysis that I am able to see beyond just what clothes people are wearing, or
the lines they are memorizing on the television shows, but now I am able to see
the underlying messages the media is sending. With the increasing number of
LGBT community members in the mainstream media today, it is showing greater
acceptance of people who do not fit in with stereotypical norms. This is
showing youth and adults, that it is completely acceptable to be yourself
without fear. Hopefully, this trend continues and the messages reach out to
more and more people across America.
No comments:
Post a Comment